Taking Abiraterone before Chemotherapy Provides Improvements to Patients with Progressive Metastatic Castration Prostate Cancer – Research
Researchers from the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, USA have come up with a report that administering abiraterone on a man with progressive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer before chemotherapy have some benefits.
It summary, this approach will help to improve the outcome for the man. Details of the findings of the research have been published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Here are more details on the research:
Treatment with abiraterone acetate, an androgen biosynthesis inhibitor, may benefit patients with progressive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer who have not yet undergone chemotherapy, report researchers.
Adding abiraterone to low-dose prednisone significantly prolonged radiographic progression-free survival among such patients compared with the addition of placebo.
The time patients had until they needed to be treated with opiate-based painkillers or chemotherapy was also extended in the abiraterone-prednisone versus prednisone only group.
“Despite the various therapies available for men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer, a need remains for effective nontoxic agents that can improve and maintain the quality and duration of life while preventing the morbidity associated with disease progression,” say Charles Ryan (UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco, USA) and colleagues.
Although an overall improvement in survival has been seen among patients who take abiraterone acetate after they have undergone chemotherapy, this study is the first to evaluate its efficacy in patients who have not yet received chemotherapy.
As reported in The New England Journal of Medicine, the randomized trial including 1088 patients showed that among those who received abiraterone acetate 1000 mg plus prednisone 5 mg twice-daily, the median radiographic progression-free survival was 16.5 months compared with 8.3 months among those who received placebo plus prednisone.
Over a median follow-up period of 22.2 months, a greater proportion of deaths occurred among individuals on prednisone alone than among those who had abiraterone added, at 186 (35%) of 542 individuals versus 147 (27%) of 546, respectively. There was also a significant 25% decrease in the risk for death in the abiraterone-prednisone group compared with the prednisone alone group.
Furthermore, abiraterone plus prednisone showed superiority over prednisone alone in terms of time to initiation of chemotherapy, time to the use of opiate analgesics for cancer-related pain, time to prostate-specific antigen progression, and decline in performance status (as assessed by the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance scale).
Liver function abnormalities and cardiac toxic effects were more common in the abiraterone-prednisone patients than in the prednisone only group. However, there was no significant between-group difference in the proportion of individuals discontinuing therapy due to adverse events, at 19% in the abiraterone-prednisone group and 12% in the prednisone alone group. Source.
The above study has revealed how significant Abiraterone is for improved health of those suffering from aggressive prostate cancer. When this drug is combined with other treatments like prednisone there were remarkable improvements on those studied.
This research is really targeting whether this treatment could be of benefit before the administration of chemotherapy.
It has proven to be effective. It is hoped that more expanded study would be done and the treatment validated.
This HUGE 4+ Year Old Prostate Cancer Victory Authority Website:
(95% of these 1,000+ Prostate Cancer Articles on this website
are written by our Expert In -house Writers, after lots of research.
The remaining 5% are news articles and videos from relevant sources!)
- Chemotherapy Prostrate Cancer for Hormone Refractory Metastatic
- Abiraterone Launched in Malaysia – Hope for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Abiraterone Now Available in Malta to Improve the Lives of Prostate Cancer Patients
- Scottish Prostate Cancer Patients Now To Be Treated With Abiraterone
- Abiraterone Prostate Cancer – Interesting Facts about This Drug
- High-Risk Localized Prostate Cancer to be eliminated by Abiraterone Acetate
- Cabozantinib Shows More Efficacy in Treating Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (CRPC)
- US Oncologists to Prescribe Enzalutamide for Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate cancer (mCRPC)
- Clinical Trial Reveals Revlimid (Lenalidomide) Combination with Other Chemotherapy Drugs Fails as Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Management of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Highlights on Drugs Administered As Chemotherapy for Prostate Cancer
- New Miracle Drugs to Cure Prostate Cancer – Abiraterone
- How Prostate Cancer Research Institutes Can Help Asthma Patients
- Zytiga (Abiraterone) Can Stop Prostate Cancer Before Surgery
- After Prostate Cancer Treatment – Taking Erectile Dysfunction(ED) Medications like Viagra, Levitra, or Cialis