Possible Side Effects Of Hormone Therapy – What You Should Expect After Undergoing this Treatment
When you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer that is in the advanced form, then the right treatment options are often suggested by the doctor.
The first line of treatment that could be prescribed for prostate cancer that has advanced is hormonal therapy. This treatment is carried out to slow down or inhibit the spread of the cancer cells.
It has been researched and proven that androgen or testosterone encourages the growth of cancer cells. However, with the help of hormonal therapy, these male sex hormones are blocked or inhibited in the body.
Hormonal therapy could be through surgical removal of the testicles, the organs that are known to secrete androgens for production. Also, the use of certain medications that have potency to block the production of androgen in the brain are also administered as hormonal treatments.
The importance hormonal therapy in treating cancer of the prostate cannot be over emphasized. Doctors most often recommend it to help slow down the progression of the disease. There have been testimonies revealing that men who underwent hormonal therapy successfully have their life span extended.
Possible side effects of hormone therapy or anti-androgen treatment cancer of the prostate
That said, there are some side effects of prostate cancer you really need to watch out for. These side effects could be very unpleasant or dangerous for the man. With hormonal therapy, you may likely experience these side effects: Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, impotence, decreased sex drive, tenderness of the breast, headache, dizziness, and fatigue.
Other less severe side effects often complained by men that have undergone or may be undergoing this treatment include: drowsiness, confusion, bloated feeling, and dryness of mouth, joint pain, vomiting, and other flu-like symptoms.
The side effects of hormonal therapy are not limited to the list above. There are some that really affects and threatens the life of the patients.
If you experience fever, black stool, tightness of chest, coughing, depression, chills, dark urine, tingling of hands and legs, unusual bleeding and bruising, etc, then you should make haste and complain to the doctor.
More so, speak to your doctor for the best way to use or combine hormonal therapy in treating your prostate cancer.
Conclusively, hormone therapy is not suitable for everyone. Therefore, you should ask your doctor before hand if you are likely to be a candidate for this treatment. In the same vein, the doctor should be able to inform you of the likely side effects to experience with particular treatments.
This HUGE 4+ Year Old Prostate Cancer Victory Authority Website:
(95% of these 1,000+ Prostate Cancer Articles on this website
are written by our Expert In -house Writers, after lots of research.
The remaining 5% are news articles and videos from relevant sources!)
- Possible Side Effects of Hormone Therapy For prostate cancer
- Prostate Cancer Androgen Hormone Therapy Side Effects
- Side Effects Of Prostate Cancer Androgen Hormone Therapy
- Side Effects Of Prostate Cancer Androgen Hormone Therapy and Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer
- Prostate Cancer – Side Effects of Radiation Therapy
- Prostate Cancer Treatment And Possible Side Effects
- Prostate Cancer Treatment Complications and Side Effects
- Cryotherapy: A Better Curative Treatment than Hormone Therapy For Prostate Cancer
- Brachytherapy Prostate Cancer Treatment And Side Effects
- Prostate Cancer Hormone Therapy Treatment
- Prostate Radiation Treatment – The Potential Side Effects
- Prostate Cancer Treatments Side Effects
- Prostate Hormone Therapy Treatment
- Prostate Cancer Treatment Hormone Therapy
- 4 Major Side Effects of Advanced Prostate Cancer